Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The one with Cloth Diaper information.

Someone on BOTB was asking about it today, so I figured I'd post it. I think I'm done with my list, but if you think there's anything missing, let me know!

So, cloth diapers. Sounds like the '60's to me, but apparently my Mom used them with me. Today's CD's are not like the cloths of yesteryear:



Instead, today's CD's are much easier to use and *dare I say it* cute. That's right, I used the c word.



So, I've compiled all the info I've been learning about these, which is a LOT, into one handy-dandy page (which brings to my mind via word association the handy-dandy notebook from Blue's Clues...) where I explore the types of CD's and links I have found in my travels. Feel free to peruse at your leisure and let me know if there's anything I'm missing, or if you have a blog to add.

Thanks! - Cat

Types of Cloth Diapers (CDs): (from Sunshine Diapers and Pinstripes and Polkadots)

All-in-one (AIO): All-in-one diapers are cotton with a waterproof cover, and are the most like disposable diapers. Put the diaper on the kid, close the tabs, done. This is the most expensive but most convenient, at around $16-$25 each, so most people have a few of these for outings/sitters instead of a whole collection. They come in 3 sizes. Example: BumGenius all-in-one cloth diaper

Pockets: Pocket diapers are just how they sound, a waterproof outer, a stay-dry inner layer, and spot for a pad to be slid into (the pocket). They are synthetic though, and susceptible to detergent buildup and hard water. They run around $15-$20. Example: Happy Heinys pocket diapers

Fitted: These are shaped like disposables, but usually use snaps instead of velcro, and require a waterproof cover. They are to be laundered after every use, but if the cover isn’t dirty/smelly, you can air them out and use again (use your best judgment here). You can get doublers for these for nighttime wear as well. Example: Kissaluvs fitted diaper

Prefold: These remind me of the old-fashioned cloth diapers that I used to see my mother use. They’re rectangular pieces of fabric that can be folded in many many different ways, but require practice and may not be practical for leaving your kid with people who don’t know how to use these. They require diaper covers as well. Instead of pins (ouch), you can use the Snappi fastener, which has grips that hook into the fabric. These are the cheapest option, about $2 and up. Example: Green Mountain prefolds

How many of each you need is up to you, but there is plenty of information out there on this. Sunshine Diapers recommends 24 diapers and 3 covers min, because newborns can use 12+ diapers a day.

Here are some links that might be helpful:
Diaper Jungle and Diaper Safari
Diaper Pin
Thanks Mama
Parenting Web

Blogs that have good info:
Mom2BinKC’s blog
A Time to be Green
Baby Rabies blog

The Detergent Chart: From Diaper Jungle

No comments: