Monday, August 17, 2009

It's almost fall!

Ok, not really...but I'm looking forward to it! With the incredibly high temps recently (hello accuweather bar, what's that you say, it's currently sunny and 90 outside?!?!), I'm looking forward to days where walking outside won't make me sweat bullets, and when more fantastic produce along with tons of fall festivals come into play. Don't forget the mums, too! I love fall. *sigh*

On that note, our second picnic of the year went off without a hitch. I was just a family get-together really, and the first lesson I learned is "talk about menu with husband." Because dang, I really like the taco pasta salad, but I didn't want to end up with the entire bowl minus about two servings. Have no fear, I'll PIP later.

We had burgers and dogs on the grill; potato salad from hubs' mom; I made the much-raved-about Taco Pasta Salad from Cara's Cravings blog; the infamous Grammy brought chips, and hubs' uncle brought meat and cheese (definitely a Berks County favorite) with some amazing mustard. Honey mustard, with a spicy kick. It was a very small jar though, so I can control myself. Mostly.

I also made Peach Cobbler from Kelly Cooks and other Feats. MMMM, good stuff. I'll also PIP that later. Hey, I've been busy! I had to spend some time with hubs last night watching Band of Brothers. I bought it for him, so I figured I'd suffer through it. Anyone else find it very strange trying to picture David Schwimmer in the military?

SO, hopefully I will be able to manage my time better this coming fall, as I have joined a new group at church (so, let's see...that makes...5 groups I'm now part of?) which only takes an hour a week, but it's dinner hour. Another *sigh*. I'm going to work on it, I promise! Don't hate me, internets!

I do get really excited for fall food, and with the produce I've had lately, good things will abound this season, oh yes.

I've made:
peach cobbler
taco pasta salad
corn on the cob, so sweet and fresh

looking forward to making:
blackberry coffee cake
chocolate zucchini bread
caramel apple upside-down cake
pear cake

and the thousands of recipes I have starred in Google Reader. Goodness I'm behind.



Is there anything you're looking forward to making/eating this fall?
(yes Lauren, I know you're looking forward to those cupcakes I promised you)

No comments: