Monday, August 10, 2009

Absence makes the bloggers grow fonder, right?...right?

So, I've been away for a while. While. A. While. Sorry about that, guys. I promise I will be back with a vengeance (and more food) soon. Like... tomorrow! ; )

But in the meantime, I will describe, in detail, my vacation.

Just kidding.

But I will tell you about our trip down! We drove to Myrtle Beach, SC, for vacation. It was our first time at that beach, and our first vacation outside of NYC, OCMD, or the honeymoon, so a new experience all around. We left around tortuream 4:30am and drove for a bit, stopping a few times and at Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Now, I actually detailed our day of driving in my crackberry because it was too funny not to have saved somewhere. Here goes:

425 am - start of our vacation! No stops until we reach another state.
715 - Stopped for breakfast at cracker barrel.
Stopped for gas at a Shell, took 5 minutes for 4 gallons, decided we could make it to the next stop.
Waffle House, Chick-fil-a at every stop.
11 am - stopped again for gas, BP, but was deserted and somewhat scary. Signs still up, weird.
1115 am - stopped again for gas, it worked this time! Saw a mini school bus with the back cut off to look like a truck, pulling a gigantic trailer. Wanted to take a picture, but they might take me down Cletus-style.
1230ish - stopped at South of the Border. Very humid and hot. Bright colors everywhere, not much other than cheap souvenirs and pink flamingos. Will get fireworks on way home.
Why do old guys keep talking to me outside restrooms?
2 pm - I'm hungry, but we're almost there and I take too much time at rest stops so we're pushing through!

Other than the interesting things that happened on the way down, we had a great time. We stayed in a resort in Myrtle Beach, right on the beach, but found that we had to drive to get to anything other than Damon's (which was right next door). Fo real. There wasn't even a Dunkin Donuts within normal-person walking distance. I suffered.

But the beach was wonderful - first day it was all shell-y and hurt my feet, but we figured out it was because the tide was really high, and I am a wuss and will not go out past a certain point because I don't want to end up being taken down by a wave and ending up on the shore with no top. True story.

After the first day, the sand was glorious! The shell-y part was way before we entered the water, and I had no fear of stepping on something sharp. The lifeguard's flag did have pictures of jellyfish on it though, so I made Hubs go ask. Apparently, it's just a general warning flag, and that day it meant watch out for rip currents. That didn't stop me from yelling "jellyfish!" every time something touched my foot.

We went to several awesome restaurants:
☼Sunday - Drunken Jack's - this was one of the restaurants on the Marsh Walk in Murrell's Inlet. The wait is insane anywhere you go, time of year, amount of people, blah blah blah. So we went downstairs to the bar/band/deck area and had some appetizers and drinks and listened to some live music while we waited. Because the wait was 2 hours, we also walked the Marsh Walk and checked out the other restaurants - they all looked great! Hubs had scallops, and then got a lobster tail for dinner, he said it was the best he'd ever had. I had the salmon, it was fantastic. I highly recommend this place for atmosphere, bar, and dining - although the dining room was a little less interesting than the lower floor area.
☼Monday - Hard Rock Cafe - Hubs has a special card for the Hard Rock, so we got in with no wait (most wonderful thing ever!). The Myrtle Beach one is the one shaped like a pyramid, and was great inside - you go down stairs, and there is a big screen in front and notable items and photos as far as the eye can see up the pyramid walls. Pretty cool. The food was also good, I had some cooler to drink that was fab, and steak and potatoes just because I could : ). This was one of the restaurants we hit up at Broadway at the Beach, a huge area built around a bay-like enclosure which includes Ripley's Aquarium, where I saw some of those jellyfish I love.
☼Tuesday - on the recommendation of a friend, we checked out Dick's Last Resort, which is up by Barefoot Landing. I'm not going to tell you what my hat said, you're just going to have to guess. Hubs' was really embarrassing too, but there is a chance his mother may be looking so I'll keep it quiet. I encourage you to go there, but we went on lunch so it was a bit quiet - go at dinner time. Oh, and I'd kill for their chili fries.
☼Wednesday - Margaritaville! We went to Broadway again for Jimmy's place, and were smart about it this time - we went over around 430 to get put on the waiting list for 630! The atmosphere is so cool, they have a giant map on the ceiling, and a storm that makes margaritas. But, I had a banana drink instead, mmm. I also had a blackened fish sammich there, which was wonderful. And we signed the wall of our booth.
☼Thursday - today was our shopping day, and after heading to the Market Common, a new structure with shops and houses by our Resort, we decided to grab a drink at Gordon Biersch Brewery. It was great! I had the summer ale, and we split some coconut shrimp and potstickers. Then, it was off to dinner at Umi, which is a pacific rim cuisine restaurant, and the best of the trip. We started out with duck egg rolls with a sweet chili dipping sauce and spicy mustard dipping sauce, and the ahi tuna plate. Ooooh so good. We split a Caesar salad which was spiced with an asian oil in the caesar dressing - hubs didn't like the way it was presented, which was just the romaine leaves spread out on a rectangular plate, but I did. He doesn't like cutting up his own salad. Then, dinner - I had the Mongolian Beef (it was heavenly, perfect amount of sauce, and had a great texture - so easy to chew) and I believe Hubs had something to do with scallops, which had the best-looking sauce I have seen for scallops. He said they were wonderful. I also had a cherry mojito which I could have chugged but controlled myself. We had key lime pie and Ghirardelli brownie for dessert, which were also plated impeccably. I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant to anyone going to MB.
☼Friday - home! boo! stopped at Chesapeake Bay Bridge and ate at the Seagull Pier though, and when Hubs told me about the little diner place on the pier, I was immediately lusting after a hot turkey sammich. Wish granted. yum.

So, that was our trip. Much beaching was done, and tons of walking. And I only gained a pound! Now, to take off the rest of them...
*sigh* back to real life now. Oh, I have to make brownies for TWD tonight, whee!

PS - I added a link to Million$$Baby's fund over on the side, her triplets were born prematurely but they are troopers! She's a What's Cooking nestie. When I can figure it out, I'll get the pic up too, but work isn't conducive to that type of stuff!

No comments: