Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TWD: Tiramisu Cake

This week's TWD brought to you by Megan of My Baking Adventures. This one looks good, folks!

I was all set to make this last night, but we got distracted by house stuff... so again, Tuesday is the night for me. Hopefully I won't get held up at work and I'll be baking by 830pm!

I saw on the TWD site a lot of people were having trouble finding the instant espresso powder and mascarpone. Well, thanks to my local Italian grocery (only open til 6pm so I had to book it over there after work!), I was able to find them with the greatest of ease. When I was scoping out the coffee aisle for the espresso, one of the owners said "do you need ladyfingers next?" I actually had to laugh and say, "nope, it's a variation on tiramisu." I heart Russo's.

However, I now have 16 oz of mascarpone, so I'm going to have to find something else using it.

The cake is made in three steps: cake, espresso syrup, and the creamy filling (where the mascarpone comes in). Unfortunately, I don't have a icing spatula, and I don't have Kahlua, and my pastry brush is - er - a little stiff from something that I can't quite remember. So, it might look a little less than appetizing, but luckily I can cover the whole thing with cocoa powder and call it a day.

Wish me luck!

and PS - I'm still working on pictures from prior yet-to-be posts. If that makes any sense at all.

**********

aaaaand I'm illegal again - I actually posted this yesterday but fell asleep last night before I got to post again!
Well I was right about the cream, it didn't look too fancy or anything, but it sure tasted good! Pics to follow as the camera was not where I expected yesterday. So it's really going to get that refrigeration that it needs. Apparently it tastes even better after being reefer-d but I don't know how that's possible - cake, espresso syrup, mascarpone cream? mmmmmmmmmm

Verdict:

No comments: