Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Cupcakes...it's what's for dinner.

I stayed home with a migraine tonight, so decided I needed to make some more cupcakes to use up the rest of the buttercream from Monday's day-off-cupcakes, and to get my mind off of...well, my mind.

I ended up making a half recipe of banana cupcakes from my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook to go with the leftover icing. So, in order to catch up, here are my recipes for the chocolate cupcakes, buttercream icing, and banana cupcakes. Yum!

One-Bowl Chocolate Cupcakes, MSL ---> recipe here

Basic Buttercream, MSL
this one is from the Living magazine, but I couldn't find it on the website.
(makes about 4 cups)
12 oz (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted (I totally do not do this, oops)
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Beat butter with a mixer on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. (or if you have That 70's Mixer like me, pick a speed based on how much c sugar you will keep in the bowl)
Add sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating after each addition, about 5 minutes (after every 2 additions, increase speed to high, and beat for 10 seconds, then reduce speed to medium-high).
Add vanilla, and beat until buttercream is smooth. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days (bring to room temperature, and beat on low speed until smooth before using). I also have some of this in my freezer, I haven't thawed it yet but I'm sure it will be fine with the above directions also.

Banana Cupcakes
(formerly Applesauce Cake turned into Banana Cake turned into Banana Cupcakes)
This is the original recipe from The Betty Crocker Cookbook which I adapted - I halved it and used half whole-wheat flour.

2 1/2 c AP Flour (I used half ww flour)
1 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce ~put the bananas here
1 1/4 c sugar
1/2 c butter or stick margarine, softened
1/2 c water ~put the buttermilk here
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice ~omit
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder (I forgot to increase this and they turned out great!)
2 lg eggs
1 c raisins ~omit
2/3 c chopped nuts ~omit if you like
rec. icing is Browned Butter Buttercream Frosting from the BC cookbook.
Banana Cake adaptation: Sub 1 1/2 c mashed ripe bananas (3 med) for applesauce and buttermilk for the water. Omit pumpkin pie spice and raisins. Increase baking powder to 1 tsp.

1. Heat oven to 350. Grease cupcake pan or put liners in the pan (the recipe lists 12 to 16 servings, I halved and made 9 cupcakes).
2. Beat all ingredients in large bowl with mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally (stir in raisins and nuts at this point if used). Pour into pan/liners.
3. Bake rectangular pan 45 to 50 minutes, rounds 40 to 45 minutes, cupcakes about 20 to 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
4. Frost.

Eat.


Verdict: Banana Cupcakes,

No comments: