Wednesday, February 17, 2010

First Appointment.

I feel like I'm making chalk marks on the wall for each one I accomplish. I really should, though!

So, yesterday was the big 1st appointment. Wheeeeee. I made sure to drink a bottle of HonesTea (love it) beforehand, in case they were going to do a real u/s (sorry dildocam, don't mean to make you feel inferior). But she said, empty the bladder, we're stickin it up your vag. **she did not literally say that, don't worry interwebz**

I got in, confirmed my ins info, Hubs gaped at the 8million+ baby pictures on the walls from my dr delivering since the age of the dinosaurs, and then we were called back. They took my bp (126/74 I believe?), weighed me (182ish I think, fantastic), and told me to take off my pants & jacket undies and hop up on the exam table, besheeted. We waited for a while, I'm assuming some other patients were taking up time. Come on people, I have a blob to see. We spent our time taking a gander at the propaganda on the wall for birthing: posters of dilation, effacement, baby-belly-cross-sections, etc. They give me the willies every time I'm there.

Just as Hubs is glancing in horror at the transvaginal u/s poster (wait, is that what they'll be doing? is it ok that we had sex?), the dr comes in; and I completely forget to introduce my husband. He asked all the usual questions, was it planned? Weren't you on the pill? No more migraines? Vitamins? Were your periods regular? (knowing what I know, I completely fumbled with that question, because I've handed out my fair share of "everyone is different dust" so I said they were averaging between 30-40 days when I was off of the pill.)

He did a pap and some regular exam-type stuff first (I think...I know he stuck the speculum of death up there and was rooting around) and then moved on to the dildocam. When the cam was all lubed- and condomed-up, up the vag it went.
I got to see the sights up on the big screen he had on the top shelf (prompted a "what, they let you watch tv during your exam?" from Hubs prior to dr's entry). My uterus flashed up, complete with blob in the middle. There it was. I had a moment of slight panic while dr was doing his measure-and-point-out-the-sights thing; there's the cord, there's the arm bud, etc. and then he stopped and focused and I saw a tiny flickering on the screen.

"That's your baby's heartbeat." Such a simple sentence, but so much to it. I literally laughed every time I saw it flicker from a different angle. It was so surreal. I tried to look up at Hubs at one point, and his face was tilted up to the screen, so I couldn't read his expression - but I heard a little laugh from him too.

From the measuring, I have an EDD now of 9/23/10. So it looks like I'll be 9w tomorrow. ZOMG. So. Scary.

Oh, and also? I'm taking over as of rightthisiinstant for the other pg girl here. Cause she's on bedrest. Yikes. I really hope she is going to be ok. But of course, I am nervous about being able to do this job, because it is somewhat of a higher-stress one than mine. Gar.

So...off to look at things for my registry! ::evil laugh::

No comments: