Thursday, January 29, 2009

Corn Chowder

My fabulous dinner last night, which turned out ok even though I screwed it up royally.

Corn Chowder, courtesy Tyler Florence


Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons butter I completely forgot this because...
* Extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 onion, diced ...I completely ran out of onions
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only I killed my thyme so I used dried
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 6 cups canned vegetable stock I used 4c veg stock and 2c chicken
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
* 6 ears corn I used frozen corn, about 2 16oz bags
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Directions

Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables are good and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the cream and the potatoes, bring to a boil and boil hard for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes break down (this will help to thicken the soup and give it a good texture).

Cut the corn kernels off the cob and add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the corn is soft, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the parsley and give it another little drink of olive oil. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Upon opening my cream, I found a lovely pudding-type blob on top. I smelled the cream, and it smelled like cream... so I poured it into a strainer and tasted it... then it occurred to me, I don't know what cream should taste like. But it didn't taste bad, so I added it to the soup minus the blob. Tee hee hee.


Cookin' in my new Paula Deen dutch oven:


I heart my PD pot.


yum, soup completed, with oyster crackers.


The Hubs was making fun of me taking pictures, but I had to take this one because he put so many damn crackers in it looked like cereal.
Later, he said, "Is this what corn chowder is supposed to look like? Creamy?"...uh, it's chowder. What else does it look like? Well it didn't look like his Wawa corn chowder, but too bad... it was homemade and darn good. He ate two bowls.

No comments: