Thursday, January 15, 2009

Banana Bread

I had some old bananas (I buy food, hubs doesn't eat it, I make dessert) so I figured why not. Pulled out the old (and by old, I mean I went to my mom's and photocopied her circa-1970 Betty Crocker) cookbook and found a recipe for nut bread. Now, the recipe I used had several different variations on nut bread, and the one for banana said to lower the milk amount to 1/3 cup, which I thought was preposterous so I just dumped the rest of my milk in. I'm thinking it might have been 2/3 cup total. Or 3/4, like the recipe I found online says.

Nut Bread with a variation: Banana Nut Bread with a variation: Banana Bread
courtesy mom's old old old BC cookbook, recipe found online at recipelink.com

BETTY CROCKER NUT BREAD
(Variations such as Banana Bread are listed after this basic recipe for Nut Bread.)

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar (my recipe called for 1/2 c reg sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar)
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder (I thought my recipe said 2 1/2??)
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. oil
1 1/4 cups milk (reduce for Banana Bread as instructed in variations)
1 egg
1 cup finely chopped nuts (obviously, I omitted these)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 9 X 5 X 3-inch loaf pan or two 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 X 2 1/2-inch loaf pans.

Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl; beat on medium speed 1/2 minute, scraping side and bottom of bowl constantly. Pour into pan(s).

Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pan; cool thoroughly before slicing.

*If using Self-Rising Flour, omit baking powder and salt.

VARIATIONS:

Apricot Nut Bread:
Decrease milk to 1/2 cup; add 4 tsp. grated orange peel, 3/4 cup orange juice and 1 cup fienly chopped dried apricots.

Banana Nut Bread:
Decrease milk to 3/4 cup; add 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2 to 3 medium).

Date Nut Bread:
Add 1 cup cut-up dates.

Orange Nut Bread:
Decrease milk to 1/2 cup; add 4 tsp. grated orange peel and 3/4 cup orange juice.

Prune Nut Bread:
Decrease milk to 1/2 cup; add 3/4 cup prune juice and 1 cup drained chopped cooked prunes.

picture to follow!

No comments: