Thursday, January 1, 2009

Betty Crocker's Silver White Cake

Silver White Cake
from the Betty Crocker Cookbook
prep: 10 min bake: 45 min cool: 1 hr 10 min; 12 servings
(I doubled the recipe and made 24 cupcakes and an overflowing round cake, so judge for yourself)

2 1/4 cups all-purpose (not self-rising) or 2 1/2 cups cake flour (I use cake flour because I'm cool like that)
1 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup shortening (I use butter, same amount)
1 1/4 cups milk
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
5 large egg whites

The recommended frosting is White Mountain or Chocolate Buttercream. Go buy the book for those recipes.

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom and sides of 13x9", 2 round 9", or 3 round 8" pans with shortening; lightly flour.
2. Beat all ingredients except egg whites and frosting in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
3. Beat in egg whites on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour into pan(s).
4. Bake rectangle 40-45 mins, 9" 30-35 mins, 8" 23-28 mins, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or until cake springs back when touched lightly or when your smoke alarm goes off. Cool rectangle in pan on wire rack. Cool rounds 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
5. Frost and enjoy. I made this last one up.

Nutrition Info:
1 serving 310 cal, 12g fat, 0 chol, 370mg sodium, 47g carbs, 5g protein, 10% DV calcium

1 comment:

whitelilycat said...

I've made at least four other variations of the Silver White Cake. I started with one from an old Fanny Farmer cookbook that calls for beating the egg whites into soft peaks and folding them into the batter. I never liked the texture of the cakes that included that step. YOUR recipe is by far the BEST! The cake I baked this evening is light and perfect. I baked it in a 9x13 glass pan at 325 for 35 minutes. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Next time I want to try it with cake flour. I used all-purpose and sifted it twice. `♥.¸¸.*´¯`♥.¸¸.*´¯`♥.¸¸.*´¯`♥.¸¸.*´¯`♥.¸¸.*´¯`♥.¸¸.*´¯Diana H.