Monday, September 8, 2008

Dinner Divas - Orange Mandarin Chicken (a little late)

ok ok I'm late, I know. I just did Dinner Divas' August recipe today. But I really only have two nights of the week to cook!

It was the Orange Mandarin Chicken from Cooking Light. I picked Udon noodles to go with it, and had to ixnay the garlic because when I opened my jar, it smelled like...well, nothing good. Or edible. So I shook in some garlic powder.
I also omitted the green onion because they cost a lot and I wouldn't be able to use the rest of it before it went bad. A common theme in my two-full-time-jobs-two-part-time-activities-no-time-for-anything-else household.

All in all I give this recipe four stars. ****
Hubs was not that thrilled, given his disinterest in anything Asian-flavored, but he liked the noodles! hehe.

Oh, I would have taken a picture, but by the time I thought of it, hubs' was gone and mine was cut up into me-sized pieces. My bad.
Here's the recipe for those of you who don't feel like clicking the link:

Orange Mandarin Chicken
Ingredients
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup, undrained
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Preparation
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.

While chicken cooks, drain oranges in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons liquid. Add oranges, 2 tablespoons liquid, onions, jalapeño, and garlic to pan. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes. Combine broth, soy sauce, and cornstarch; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.

Nutritional Information
Calories:212 (16% from fat)
Fat:3.8g (sat 0.7g,mono 1.3g,poly 1.3g)
Protein:27.2g
Carbohydrate:15.2g
Fiber:0.7g
Cholesterol:66mg
Iron:1.9mg
Sodium:562mg
Calcium:27mg

1 comment:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This recipe looks great! I should cook/use mandarin oranges more... they really add a lot of sweetness and color to dishes!