Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Food. Finally.

I made something today! Granted, I've been making things for a little while now, but they're all old and tired. And some are from a box.

But today, I made...something new! From scratch! I found some apples at Weaver's Orchard which I had not tried before, and I was tired of the regular old Granny Smith. However, don't remember what they were called, so all you get is "green not granny smith apples," internets. Sorry.

I'd been craving baked goods lately, and the only apple recipe in my arsenal for which I had all ingredients was this one. There was an apple crisp from Emeril as well, which I may make with the remaining two apples. I got four altogether.

It's in the oven right now, so I'll be back later to update you all with how it tastes!

Apple Walnut Bread

found at MyRecipes.com, by Mary Ostyn

Ingredients
3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups apples - peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Directions
In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In large mixing bowl, place oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla, applesauce and apples. Stir together. Add flour mixture and stir until combined. Add walnuts and mix again. Divided mixture between two greased 8-in. x 4-in. bread pans. Sprinkle tops of loaves with a little bit of granulated sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on wire rack before removing from pan. Serve warm or cooled.

No comments: